Jazz Standard (jazz club)
|Address||116 East 27th Street|
|Location||New York City|
|Public transit||Subway: trains at 28th Street|
|Opened||October 14, 1997|
|Closed||December 2, 2020|
Jazz Standard was a jazz club located at 116 East 27th Street in the Rose Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It frequently hosted well-known bands and musicians. The club was owned by restaurateur Danny Meyer and was located in the basement of one of his Blue Smoke restaurants.
The Mingus Big Band, the Mingus Orchestra, and Mingus Dynasty rotated every Monday night as the club's de facto house bands. The former won the 2011 Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album for their album Live at Jazz Standard. The Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra played a week-long gig at the club every Thanksgiving since 2005.
On December 2, 2020, the Jazz Standard announced it would be closing its doors at 116 East 27th Street permanently, due to lack of revenue from COVID-19 and stalled rent negotiations.
When the club opened in the fall of 1997 the upstairs restaurant was called "Standard".
- 1998: Gary Bartz Quartet – Live @ The Jazz Standard, Vol. 1: Soulstice (OYO)
- 2000: André Previn with David Finck – Live at the Jazz Standard (Decca)
- 2000: Maria Schneider Orchestra – Days Of Wine And Roses - Live at the Jazz Standard (ArtistShare)
- 2003: Frank Morgan - City Nights: Live at the Jazz Standard, Raising the Standard, A Night in the Life (HighNote)
- 2003: René Marie – Live at Jazz Standard (Maxjazz)
- 2004: Bill Mays Trio – Live at Jazz Standard (Palmetto)
- 2004: The Lonnie Plaxico Group – Live at Jazz Standard (441 Records)
- 2006: Nancy King with Fred Hersch – Live at Jazz Standard (MaxJazz)
- 2006, 2007: Russell Malone − Live at Jazz Standard Vols. 1 & 2 (MaxJazz)
- 2007: Dave Douglas Quintet – Live at the Jazz Standard (Greenleaf)
- 2007, 2008: Dena DeRose – Live at Jazz Standard Vols. 1 & 2 (MaxJazz)
- 2008: Roger Kellaway – Live at the Jazz Standard (IPO)
- 2009: Fred Hersch Pocket Orchestra – Live at Jazz Standard (Sunnyside)
- 2009: Dafnis Prieto, Si o Si Quartet – Live at Jazz Standard NYC (Dafnison Music)
- 2010: Wolfgang Muthspiel & Mick Goodrick – Live at The Jazz Standard (Material)
- 2010: Marian Petrescu Quartet with Andreas Öberg – Thrivin' – Live at Jazz Standard (Resonance)
- 2010: Mingus Big Band – Live at Jazz Standard (Audio & Video Labs)
- 2010: Antonio Sánches – Live in New York at Jazz Standard (CAM Jazz)
- 2018: Jakob Bro - Bay of Rainbows (ECM)
- ″Nightlife preview – New Clubs″, New York, p.131. September 8, 1997.
- Pearis, Bill. "NYC's Jazz Standard has closed permanently due to COVID". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved December 2, 2020.
- Fred Kaplan: "Maria Schneider's Jazz Orchestra: Thanksgiving Week at the Jazz Standard", stereophile. November 23, 2017.
- "Top 5 Jazz Joints", New York. July 7, 2015.